Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup


After more than a year, my kitchen is now open!
 I know it took me a while, but i'm back to share my recipes once again. 

This last year i've been busy with my pregnancy 
and now, taking care of our little munchkin (and for a first time mom, whew!) 
During those quiet "Me Time" moments,
 I found myself in  Pinterest (awesome site, by the way) 
and reading my magazines.
 There, i stumbled upon this recipe along with dozens more. 
I remember a high school classmate and friend of mine 
was asking for a tortilla soup recipe 
(for quite sometime now... I deeply apologize for the delay). 
So to make up for it, I decided to make this dish 
as my first posted recipe for this year 2013.
The original tortilla soup recipe
 is from October 2012 issue of  Yummy magazine
 but I tweaked it according to my taste and preference. 
I hope you guys like it. My Hubby did. 
Happy Cooking! 😄



You will need:

• 1 1/2 tablespoons Oil
• 2 cloves Garlic, minced
• 1 large Onion, chopped (i used white onion)
• 1 large green Bell Pepper, chopped
• 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
• 1 teaspoon Chili Powder (more or less, depending on the "hotness" you prefer)
• 3 cups Chicken Stock or 3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes dissolved in 3 cups of water
• 2 (250g) pouch tomato sauce
• 2 cups shredded Roasted Chicken, divided into 1 cup each
• 10-12 Cilantro Leaves, chopped
• 1/2 cup Tortilla Chips, crushed
• 1 large Avocado, peeled, hulled, and sliced lengthwise (optional)
• 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (optional)
• flat-leaf Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
• Lime wedges, to serve (optional)


Preparation:

Step 1: In a casserole, heat oil and saute garlic until fragrant. Add onions and bell peppers.  
              Continue to cook until onions are translucent and bell peppers are tender.

Step 2: Stir in cumin and chili powder. Add chicken stock and tomato sauce. Bring mixture to 
              boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Step 3: Add 1 cup of the shredded chicken and simmer for another 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro 
              leaves.

Step 4: Ladle soup into a serving bowl. Top with tortilla chips, avocado slices, shredded 
              cheese, and the remaining chicken. Garnish with parsley and serve with lime wedges  
              on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment